Friday, October 24, 2008

Frozen Green

I took this photo this week while I was outside harvesting some salad greens in the morning. There's nothing quite like picking your evening's salad with numb fingers. But at least it was picturesque.

I found a great article on foraging for salad greens among the garden weeds, which expands upon one of my regular reader's suggestions regarding chickweed (thank you, Ericswan). In the article, Arthur Lee Jacobson, a Seattle-based horticulture author, insists that he never buys lettuce. It's no secret that wild plants contain more health-protective nutrients, but I also recently found out that during the Great Depression desperate people reverted to eating the leaves and roots of just such weeds. You may be surprised which weeds are edible, I know that I was.

Touching on this note, I also stumbled upon a great blog entry at Peak Oil Blues about the difference between being "green" and being, what is now described as "brown." Brown is essentially the extreme of being green, to the point of shunning consumerism.

With the economy the way it is, I invision more and more people becoming "brown" without necessarily doing it for environmental reasons and I could also see those who would-be "green" opting for "brown" or maybe they'd prefer to call themselves "frozen green?"

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At January 12, 2009 7:15 PM, Blogger Brady Balouga said...

We miss you here in Ohio! How are things in Seattle? Were you affected by the floods? We think of you both often and hope you are well!

 
At January 22, 2009 5:57 PM, Blogger ericswan said...

http://www.scribd.com/
doc/8422107/SmallScale-Chicken-Production

This website is very interesting . I've been busy procuring materials for a root cellar and a couple of mini greenhouses. Lots of fun ahead..Happy new year..eric

 
At August 15, 2009 1:39 PM, Blogger Brady Balouga said...

Have you thawed out yet? We miss you!

 
At October 15, 2009 11:01 AM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Wow is it Friday where you are? I am in the U.K, so its kinda strange.

 
At May 15, 2012 12:05 PM, Blogger GOD'S DAUGHTER said...

Please check
http://paularroman.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home