Friday, August 22, 2008

Sleepy Bees



I once had a friend who was fascinated by sleeping bumble bees. She would step out into her garden in the morning and marvel at them all, clutching their preferred blossoms, their fuzzy bodies often glistening with dew. She said she wanted to reach out and pet them and that if she did that they would "grumble" like they were groggy and grumpy and didn't quite want to be woken up yet.

I've been feeling sort of like a sleepy bumble bee lately. As though I've been working all day to the point of dozing off in the middle of my work and that I am waiting for the sun to warm me back up -- to give me the energy to keep going.

Sometimes the people in our lives can have the warming effects that the sun has upon the slumbering bumblebees. Our friends and family can see our visions and our toils and shine new light on our paths. Last month we were delightfully awoken to a visit from PeakEngineer and his lovely wife and beautiful child. More than just energy, they brought with them some synergy of perception that has strengthened our resolve. Because while they have wisely found an amazing community of like-minded individuals in which to live, my husband and I have plunged forward to go it alone. That was not a reasoned decision on our part to do it this way, just a decision to do what we felt we could when we had the opportunity. And while we have found people who share our core beliefs in a simpler lifestyle, our bigger picture views are not always the same.

Shortly after our delightful awakening, we had a visit from my grandmother. She looked at our yet unpolished projects and immediately saw the long-term dream. There was no doubt in her mind as to what we were doing or why and her enthusiasm was contagious.

And so, back into our projects we have plied ourselves. For all the disappointment of a lack-luster growing season, a few too many wild predators, and the aggravation of shortening days, we at least know that we aren't completely nuts, even if we have bought the farm.

But in the words of (yes, the ever-philosophical) Steve Miller* "you've got to go through hell, before you get to heaven."

*of the Steve Miller band, of course. ;)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 24, 2008 7:36 PM, Blogger PeakEngineer said...

How have your veggies been doing? And how are your ducks?
-PE & Crunchy

 
At October 09, 2008 3:47 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Hey, peakengineer.

Well, actually, I was hauling in a lot of the remainder of our harvest last night. I filled the bottom of a wheelbarrow with mostly squash -- pumpkin, zucchini, crookneck -- and some mature corn. I failed to pick the corn in time to eat it, but I will be drying it to use as seed for next year's garden. As it was grown in the greenhouse, I'm pretty confident we didn't have any cross pollination from other corn. :D

The ducks are loving the return of the rains. You can't help but love the rain when you see how excited they get!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home