Friday, January 26, 2007

Green Kitchen Tip #4

Bean Residue

Soon after changing over to a mostly vegetarian diet, black beans became a favorite meat substitute in my diet. Beans are a great source of protein and iron, but little did I know that black beans offer many other amazing health benefits that you probably don't get from a serving of beef or chicken. But, I noticed that when I cooked beans in a stainless steel pan, they tend to leave a residue that does not wipe off with washing. My husband would inevitably attempt to scrape it off with steel wool, to my chagrin, but to no avail either. Even baking soda fails at this task. I did notice, at one point, that cooking something tart, like tomato chutney would render the pan back to its shining glory. I put two and two together and realized the bean residue must be basic in nature, thereby needing acid to remove it. Sure enough, soaking momentarily in vinegar will remove this residue, almost like magic.

Before

After

Vinegar also makes a very good glass cleaner. I keep vinegar in a spray bottle and use it to wipe windows (with a washable cloth).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home