Friday, January 19, 2007

Lifestyle vs. Adaptation

I’m almost ashamed to admit this, but I have a point to make, so I’ll fess up.

Here it is: My husband and I watched “The War at Home” last night. If you don’t know what show I’m talking about, don’t worry. I had to (with dread in my heart) surf the Fox Channel website to find the name of the comedy we had viewed.

I think what sucked us down that rabbit hole was the preview clip they showed that featured a Smartcar! Well, we were poorly disappointed, because the show ended up bashing on environmental consciousness. In particular, the Smartcar was referred to as looking like “something a larger car pooped out.” The general message from the family was that, yeah, we care about the environment but we aren’t about to give up our lifestyle.

This reminds me of a Taoist principle:

Men are born soft and supple; dead, they are stiff and hard.
Plants are born tender and pliant; dead, they are brittle and dry.
Thus whoever is stiff and inflexible is a disciple of death.
Whoever is soft and yielding is a disciple of life.
The hard and stiff will be broken. The soft and supple will prevail.



That doesn’t even address how being small affords you parking advantages. ;)

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

FYI, please see the official smart car website. The site you referenced is not affiliated with smart. Thanks so much.

Chuck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home