Thursday, September 07, 2006

Just When We Need More Atkins Dieters . . .

Brace yourself for an increase in the price of bread products and flour. Wide-spread drought has spoiled wheat crops across the world. Reference the following Forbes article: Wheat Prices Climbing Amid Global Drought. In particular, note the following couple of quotes:
  1. "There is this band around the world where wheat is produced that is affected by this drought"
  2. “Texas is going to harvest the fewest number of acres since 1925”

If you want to keep your costs down, start stocking up on flour now. I’m not sure if it was coincidental, but this week when I made it a point to buy another sack of flour, I noticed a few bare shelves.

We tend to be pretty laissez-faire in our house about letting bread spoil on the counter, but I think I will start storing my bread in the refrigerator (even though there isn’t ever any room in there). Also, once bread starts to stale, it still makes for amazing croutons.

Reduce. Fully use. And hope for better luck during the next cycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home