Friday, August 11, 2006

Genetic Recombination in the Eggplant Jungle


What you see here, in the bottom right hand corner, is an all white indian eggplant on a plant that is also producing regularly patterned indian eggplants. What sort of mischievous bees have been pollinating my eggplants? Genetic recombination appears to be running rampant in my garden, because I also have some all purple indian eggplants on another plant that also has some regularly patterned indian eggplants on it.

I find this somewhat bizarre, considering that this has not happened before in the three years I have been growing these eggplants.

Should I save these oddball seeds?

2 Comments:

At August 12, 2006 2:48 PM, Blogger ericswan said...

My guess is that you are looking at immature egglants that will not produce viable seed.

 
At August 17, 2006 4:06 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Drat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home