Friday, August 04, 2006

Grazing

Last night, on a whim, I decided to eat as local as possible. Avoid the grocery store. Forage from the yard. Well, yes, it isn't quite that easy . . . I don't have a free-range dairy cow, a walnut tree, nor a field of wheat. But I used what I had in terms of fresh produce.


As I like a little fruit on this particular salad, it took a little thinking before I realized that I actually had some amazing, freshly ripe blackberries waiting to be plucked from the "wasteland" by our driveway. To think I almost overlooked them is a shame. Despite our lack of significant rainfall in about two months, those blackberries were huge, and sweeter than I remember them ever being.

My salad greens are preparing to bolt, but still offered enough leaves for a decent sized salad.


The tomatos are just getting into the swing of things and there were more than enough for my favorite bruschetta. Though, I have to fess up that I cut more basil, while pruning back the flowers, than I could even use.

It was a treat to eat from my own garden, yet also bittersweet, as it was a reminder of how much time and energy goes into our food. How much land and how much time would it require to feast entirely from your own backyard, or is it even possible at all? It seems we have left our self-sufficiency behind us. I've heard that currently there are only 5 acres available for every person on the planet. I'm sure that number is dwindling, even as I write this. So I guess the question is, can a person sustain themselves on 5 acres of land? As a vegan it is supposed to be possible, but since vegans frequently encounter nutritional deficiencies, I have to wonder. . . .

4 Comments:

At August 05, 2006 6:19 PM, Blogger ericswan said...

Sounds like a great garden. Do you plan on posting a pic or two before everything is picked? Wild blackberries.. wow.. Do you do gaspachio (sp)?

 
At August 08, 2006 10:25 PM, Blogger bryansail said...

Now I am hungry. Nice posts. I think it's great how much you are trying to do it the right way!

I am going to fix up a huge salad, containing one whole red pepper and about 2/3 cup of raw cabbage. It is possible that eating super foods may activate dormant genes. I am not quite meat free yet but getting closer to eating well all the time :)

 
At August 09, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Hey there, ericswan, I'll work on getting a respectable garden photo posted. Around here the blackberries are more weedy than anything . . . the himalayan variety. Still, not bad for roadside fare, though. ;) Gazpacho . . . not yet, I keep meaning to try this Santa Fe Gazpacho recipe, but it keeps getting put on the back burner (yadda yadda). Do you have a favorite recipe for gazpacho?

Welcome, bryansail! Thank you for your kind words. Interesting what you say about dorman genes . . . I should look into that, unless you care to elaborate . . . ? Good luck on going meat free! While becoming vegetarian is not as extreme as going vegan, I would still recommend that you watch out for nutritional pitfalls. I have come across a few which have convinced me that it is best to eat wild fish & free-range poultry on occassion, as well as take a few supplements. I feel that it matters more that one just limit one's meat eating, not so much cease entirely (one will still make a positive impact by reducing one's environmental footprint, as well as improving one's health even if one doesn't stop eating meat entirely). Sorry for the long-winded response, I hope you could follow at least some of that.

 
At August 12, 2006 2:45 PM, Blogger ericswan said...

Hmmm.. howzabout a

EGGPLANT PARMESAN

tender slices of eggplant layered with Italian cheeses and baked in your favorite tomato sauce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home