Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Something Borrowed & Something Blue



As much of a scone addicted fool as I am, I do occasionally grow weary of my vast library of scone recipes. When I saw this recipe for Blueberry Breakfast Bars at Farmgirl Fare, I knew it would become my new favorite way to hoard blueberries. The recipe makes a large panful (9" x 13"), and over half of that I have frozen in classic foodie obsessive-compulsive manner.

These are quite good, although rich enough to make me feel a twinge of guilt eating them for breakfast. Consequently I would recommend the following changes for anyone else having a hard time justifying them for breakfast:

  1. substitute organic white whole wheat flour for the all purpose flour
  2. substitute turbinado sugar for both the white and brown sugar
  3. maybe throw a few more oats into the mix, possibly in the topping
  4. you might be able to get away with using a little less butter

Tangent -- while I was buying my blueberries I overheard the produce manager mention to his colleague that the berries in the store are cheaper for him to purchase than his own labor would be to pick from his own garden. That launched me into a long muse about under-valued agricultural workers and global salary rates. Will the same hold true in the future? But above and beyond all that, the berries in his backyard are most assuredly more flavorful and healthful, so really there is no comparison.

2 Comments:

At July 13, 2006 6:56 AM, Blogger ericswan said...

Good morning and great posting as usual. My blueberry patch is coming along nicely. Unfortunately, my public likes them too. Most of my green peppers were filched before I could get a pic. I'm sure my blueberries will be next. Big fat and juicy. You were wondering where the community garden blog went. The name was too long so I had to start over.


http://cygnid.blogspot.com/

 
At July 13, 2006 8:09 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Maybe you should set a tent up in the blueberry patch until they are ready to be picked? Nothing is more annoying than stolen fruits of your labor. My sympathies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home