Friday, July 07, 2006

5 Star Salmon


Yes, I know, but I did say "mostly" vegetarian and fish is really the best source of certain omega 6 fats, so I really don't feel guilty posting this.

From what I can gather, this recipe originated at a restaurant called The Ark Restaurant & Bakery, on the Long Beach peninsula of the Washington coast (close to the Oregon border). If you want relatively easy 5 star home-cooking, this recipe is for you! The best part about fine dining at home is that you can actually get away with licking your plate afterward. Trust me, you will feel the urge to do so with this sauce.

Scotch Salmon

2, 7 oz salmon fillets (buy wild)
4 Tablespoons butter, clarified
salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon shallot, minced
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoon raspberry vinegar
1/2 cup scotch
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 Tablespoons Drambuie
Crème fraîche

Dust each salmon fillet lightly with flour. In a pan large enough for both fillets, heat the butter. Add your salmon and brown slightly on one side. Add salt and pepper to taste and turn fillet over. Add garlic, shallot, mustard and brown sugar. Cook for a few seconds. Add raspberry vinegar. The second side of your salmon should be slightly brown at this point. With the fillets still in the pan, deglaze them with the scotch. Add orange juice. Move the pan in a circular motion to blend ingredients. Remove salmon and let your sauce reduce until it begins to thicken. Place salmon back in the pan and finish with cream and Drambuie. Top your fillets with the sauce from the pan, and with crème fraîche.

Note: I whipped my crème fraîche for this, without adding anything like sugar or vanilla to it.

Beware that you buy your salmon from a trusted source. As I usually don't buy fish, I don't have an ongoing relationship with the fishy guy behind the counter. I asked specifically for wild salmon and he told me that that is what he gave me, but the label he printed out with the price on it did not support his claim. I won't be buying fish from him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home