Friday, May 26, 2006

A Historical Account of Americans' Poor Dietary Choices


Considering that we all supposedly learn behaviors from our families while we grow up, is it any wonder that Americans eat as poorly as they do?

From "The Egg and I" by Betty MacDonald, c 1945:

“With all of the natural resources in the way of food and the ease with which you could grow anything and everything, I never in all of the time I lived on the chicken ranch tasted salad in anyone’s house but my own; nor did I see meat cooked any way but fried or boiled, nor did I ever catch anyone but the Indians eating fish. Sowbelly, fried potatoes, fried bread, macaroni, cabbage or string beans boiled with sowbelly were the fare day in and day out. They grew heads of lettuce the size of cabbages and fed it to the chickens or the pigs, they grew celery as crisp and white as crusted snow and they sold every single stalk. They grew beets like balloons and rutabagas as big as squashes, but they fed them to the cows. They grew Swiss chard three feet high, so they cut off all of the green part and fed it to the pigs and boiled the white stems with sowbelly for hours and hours and hours, until it was a greasy strangled mass which they relished with fried potatoes and boiled macaroni.”

Apparently most of us still aren't eating enough of our greens and this can lead to devastating effects. It has been found that leafy greens contain vitamin K, a nutrient that has gone overlooked and underestimated for some time now. Vitamin K helps keep our bones healthy and prevents osteoporosis.

2 Comments:

At June 22, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger ericswan said...

Ain't it the truth. I harvested my romaine on the first day of summer and they were as big as cabbage but was interesting to me being an organic gardener was that there was no white trunk with a ton of waste. Very little waste and really full of taste not water.

Keep up the "good" work you are doing. These things take time to establish but you are well on your way.

 
At June 23, 2006 10:33 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Yum! It is funny you should mention the white ribs of the romaine, because I'm a very finicky salad eater, who avoids all the white parts. You don't want to see me trying to eat a salad in a restaurant. LOL. I have only so far grown the european greens, but it looks like I ought to get serious about growing romaine as well. Once my lawn is gone, I'll get to it.

Thank you for your kind comment. Life gets crazy some times and I'm looking forward to posting again soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home