Friday, August 17, 2007

My Ducks Don't "Quack"

And I don't think it's only my ducks who can't seem to pronounce "quack." It seems to me that ducks are universally incapable of enunciating the "qu" sound. Instead they pretty much just say "wank wank wank," (heavy on the "wa" and light on the "k") which has led my husband and I to chide our ducks with the nomiker "wankers." Considering that this term has somewhat lewd connotations in the UK, I guess I can understand why biologists have agreed upon the term "quack." (As an aside: Here is a great chart listing the accepted mnemonics of bird calls).

Besides, it really wouldn't do to have a class of schoolkids in the UK singing "Old McDonald Had a Farm" with a "wank wank here and a wank wank there, here a wank, there a wank, everwhere a wank wank," eh?

Note: I posted this photo of a mallard drake because I really love it. This photo was brought to you courtesy of PD Photo.org.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 17, 2007 10:33 AM, Blogger metaldogman said...

Dear Beloved Green Goddess,

You have finally gone completely "Quackers" err "Wan.." err

Yeah, we like ducks ;)

Love,

Metaldogman

 
At August 22, 2007 10:54 PM, Blogger ericswan said...

I had one of those nice days off in the country. A black bear, two herds of big horn sheep, one organic gardener selling his wares, and peace and quiet with a sprinkle of feeling fortunate.

Now this is something I wasn't expecting but it is pleasant nonetheless. It may be the answer to all of this obesity we're looking at.

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=77035

 
At August 24, 2007 2:29 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Yes, metaldogman, we do like our ducks.

Ericswan, that sounds like a delightful day off! The one thing that troubles me about their use of Stevia is that they seem to have copyrighted a name for it. What does that mean? Is it GM Stevia?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home