Thursday, August 16, 2007

GO, GO, GO!!!



This is what happens every day when I let the little guys out of their pen. A blur of tail feathers streaks past, accompanied by the padded stampede of little orange webbed feet.

They look like school kids let out after the last bell has rung. But I don't blame them, as they never know what they are going to find for dinner. It is always tastier than the organic grains mom makes them eat. Sometimes they surprise me by scoring slugs the size of hot dogs. Whoever ferets one out of the grass proceeds to run about, while attempting to scarf the slimy thing down their throat. A chase ensues, as every duck tries to tackle and dislodge the "escargot" from the finder's bill. The slug carrier scoots along, head stretched high, pausing only long enough to change direction or gulp down another centimeter of slug. This cracks me up to no end. Whoever ultimately wins the prize spends quite some time struggling to swallow it, and shaking his head in a futile attempt to de-slime his palate.

I think I'll stick to organic grains, myself.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 17, 2007 4:45 AM, Blogger O Mama Mia said...

Awww.. that's awesome! I'm jealous of your farm.. and your "kids".
www.omamamia.com

 
At August 17, 2007 8:31 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Thanks, o mama mia! :) If you didn't live all the way out on the other coast, I'd invite you and your daughter over for a visit. I think once we have our farm up and running that it would be nice to see more children around. My husband's neice and nephew were entranced with our ducks when they visited us, before we moved. It was fun to see them so excited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home