Friday, April 13, 2007

Green Kitchen Tip #12

Take-out Containers

We all have days when we don’t have the time or the energy to cook for ourselves. Take-out becomes a tempting option, even if it isn’t the healthiest choice. And while we may decide it is ok to put our healthy diets aside for a day, we may not wish to put our environmental concerns on the backburner.

Next time you opt for take-out, you might consider bringing your own clean, re-usable containers to be filled. I’ve brought my own reusable mug to espresso stands for years, and I’ve never had a problem, but the thought of bringing Tupperware to a restaurant seems entirely foreign to me and I’m a little concerned at what sort of reception I may get. But after reading this article, I feel re-assured that the idea is a mutually acceptable and beneficial one, even if it takes some getting used to.

Even better if you ditch the plastic (in an environmentally responsible manner) and buy a stainless steel contraption instead. For those of you who like to Christmas shop early, this would make a nice gift for those like-minded people in your life.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 19, 2007 4:13 PM, Blogger Nupur said...

I love this tip! I like the idea of using steel containers...that is what is the tradition in India anyway, but the only problem is microwaving the food. Which becomes important to me when packing lunch for work.

 
At July 20, 2007 12:40 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Welcome nupur! Thank you for your input. Now I'm even more eager to take one of these containers when I pick up my all-time favorite take-out -- Indian! Maybe you could keep a ceramic plate or bowl at work for heating your food up in the microwave? It would be another item to wash, but if you wanted to avoid plastic it would be an option.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home